Categories

Jan 4, 2015

Year of Projects 2014

It’s that time of year where we pause to reflect on what we’ve accomplished, what slipped off the radar screen and what we hope to achieve in the months ahead. Here's a quick roundup of my 2014 knitting efforts.

Focus, Finish & Frog
In 2014, my goals were quite simple: Focus, finish and frog. With these fundamentals in mind, I decided to:
Focus on WIPs                               
Select and start new projects with restraint
Finish projects already on the needles
Frog languishing WIPs and UFOs
Frog FOs that didn’t pass muster
Donate yarn that no longer suited my preferences and priorities
This strategy helped me process (knit, frog, donate) close to 15,000 yards, a figure far more modest than what many of you achieved, but I’m okay with it.

Finished Objects
As the year drew to a close, there was one active project on the needles, a cluster of swatches for potential new projects and a number of FOs, including: 

AFGHANS







Many of the small things shown were knit in quantities and quite a few WIPs and FOs large and small were frogged with abandon.
Designing has always been a part of my knitting life. In 2014, I took a deep breath and started formally publishing patterns rather than just outlining them here or on my Ravelry project pages.
The patterns share certain commonalities: They’re fast, easy and designed to help you make the most of yarn from stash. So far, all of them are also reversible and hopefully nearly fool-proof. 

As of this moment, there are a handful of patterns available and many more are in development or the hands of the tech editor.

Stash
When I made knitting the stash a priority, one thing was clear: All the yarn and knitting gear had to be pared down so everything fit into its designated space. I have more than enough storage for any reasonable person, but over the years yarn acquisitions far outstripped my very limited knitting time and rather slow knitting pace. Enough already.
Technically, I’m not cold-sheeping but taming the stash remains a long-term objective. At the close of 2014, my yarn fits into the designated cupboards and drawers, and all needles and tools have a home of one sort or another. Keep in mind yarn, patterns, swatches, worksheets, needles and blocking mats are always sitting out somewhere. But when the urge to tidy up strikes, it can all be stowed out of sight.
That’s progress in the right direction and I’m willing to call it a win.

Outlook
The 3F (focus, finish, frog) strategy worked well, so I'm continuing it again this year. I have a high-level plan in place, but as always, it's likely I'll end up wherever the yarn and inspiration lead.

There's something particularly appealing about the start of a new year shining bright with promise and opportunity. I have one very simple wish: May this be the best year ever for each and every one of us.


10 comments:

  1. I hope this upcoming year is the best for you, as well! I think I'll use your "3F's" strategy, I only have two projects at the moment, but my family gives to a local rehab center and I hope to make some nice, knitted Christmas presents for them. It'll be a lot of work, but here's to killing our stashes! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kiera, my best to you too!

      The 3F strategy plays nicely with my primary mission: Keep things as simple as possible ;)

      Delete
  2. I love your 3 F strategy. I too, like everyone else, am trying to pare down the stash, of yarn and of patterns that I have also built up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucy. Yep, the 3F strategy works well for me, let us know if it works for you.

      Paring down the pattern stash is on my list this year, too!

      Delete
  3. What a great job! I love all the pictures! What are the different "small things?" The one with the button looks like something I would like to make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Heather, glad you like them.

      Small Things are cloths, coasters and whimsical knits like the Downy Woodpecker cloth.

      In the photo, the red diamonds are a stack of Double Luck coasters anchored with a Chinese coin. The free pattern is here:
      http://knittingwip.blogspot.com/2014/01/pattern-double-luck-mug-mat.html.

      Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. I like your strategy and your accomplishments were not only very lovely but also well done. I was glad to hear someone else say they are not a "fast" knitter. I'm not and I don't think I wan tot be as I love the process as well as the FO. But I must admit gifting and holidays sometimes makes me wish for a speedier knitting hand. I don't have a big stash but I can see where it could get that way. Thanks for the great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful comment, Sam, it's much appreciated.

      Like you, I sometimes wish I was speedier, but for the most part I enjoy working toward an FO at a slow, steady pace that allows me to enjoy the journey as well as the destination.

      Delete
  5. 15,000 yards is very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You definitely had a productive year and I'm glad you found a system to keep you on track. Here's to a great 2015!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and enjoy each and every comment. If you have questions, share those too, and I'll do my best to respond.
-b