Categories

Oct 4, 2015

Afghans in TV Land

Have you noticed how many TV programs incorporate handcrafted afghans as part of the set decor?  If you pay attention to the details, they provide interesting clues to the characters.

In Scandal, for example, Olivia has an exquisite afghan featuring classic, controlled cables worked in fine, white yarn. Without even touching it you know it's cashmere and absolutely as soft and enticing as it looks. Sometimes you can catch a glimpse of it draped casually over the back of the couch, while at others it's folded into a large triangular shape and positioned with care. Like Liv herself, it's precise, pristine and elegant, and quite clearly a subtle "white hat" symbol. (If you watch the show, you know what that means.)


The afghans that appear in the Big Bang Theory tell a different story. Amy's couch sports a throw made with small, colorful granny squares that have a delightful retro feel. The riot of colors picks up elements from around the room in a non-matchy-matchy way. The overall effect is charming, and to my eye, the granny-ghan is the perfect choice for such an endearing character (perhaps because bright colors and faux-block construction have been on my mind lately).


If you run across a rerun of Modern Family, look for what appears to be a handknit afghan draped over the back of the couch in Mitch and Cam's living room. The rich chili pepper red delivers a bright pop of color that reflects Cam's vibrant personality and echoes a large abstract painting hanging on the wall. The textured chevron stitch serves as the perfect counterpoint to the bright color and suits to a tee Mitch's more structured personality.

In the short-lived program, Growing Up Fisher, the story line centered around the amazing capabilities of the writer's father who was blind. When the parents separated, the father moved into an apartment in a renovated old bakery. Much like him, the apartment decor was streamlined, modern and efficient, but subtle touches like a muted tone-on-tone neutral throw added depth and texture to the room and hinted at the softer side of the father's strong, self-sufficient personality.


For many of us, knitting and TV go hand in hand, and every onscreen sighting of handcrafted items enhances this symbiotic relationship. My knitting time is limited which means my TV time is too, so when I'm watching, I'm torn between following the action and scanning the screen for the next fleeting glimpse of unexpected yarny goodness.

What can I say? I may miss pivotal plot points, but I try not miss hand knits. With the new fall season underway, I confess I'm looking forward to spotting a fresh crop of afghans in TV land.


PS: Have you spotted a handmade afghan in TV Land? Let us know in the comments.

PPS: If you're like me and relish these brief but recurring handcrafted appearances, you might enjoy these posts: Hand Knits in TV Land (Halifax)Hand Knits from TV Land and Alien Parasite Hypothesis.

7 comments:

  1. I love the Color Check! I'm always on the look out for crochet and knitting in the movies and on TV. Thanks for sharing this in the Knitting Love Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, knitting and TV go hand in hand, and I suspect I too will now be on the alert for afghan sightings ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing knits onscreen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I've noticed Amy's granny square afghan. In The Bletchley Circle, Susan knits. I like to study the way she holds her needles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Color Check is lovely! It's so fun to spot knits onscreen. I love the beautiful knits on the Outlander series in particular. They are styled so gorgeously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I notice afghans, sweaters, hats, mitts, scarves.....etc...I think that is what knitters and crocheters do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Murder mysteries are a good place to see knitted items too. Esp. period ones.Foyle's War, Miss Marple and the like! Also Call the Midwife has lots of afghans and jumpers (sweaters)!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and enjoy each and every comment. If you have questions, share those too, and I'll do my best to respond.
-b