Categories

Oct 1, 2017

Ribs & Revelations

Here's the scoop. Recently, I was sorting through recent FOs, works in progress and projects in the planning pipeline. The goal was to set some priorities, but instead I made a strange discovery.

In addition to my long-standing obsession with ombres and gradients, I appear to be equally obsessed with ribby knits and rib stitches in all their forms. Here are just a few of the many examples that led to this revelation.

Colsie Mitts

I've made ... wait a minute while I go count ... five pairs of mitts featuring this super-easy slipped rib stitch, and another is on the needles. In addition to being a great way to blend colors into a DIY gradient of my own choosing, this stitch produces a wonderfully stretchy fabric that's perfect for mitts, hats, cuffs, cowls and anything else that requires elasticity.

Colsie Cowl



In spite of the fact that I have too many projects already on the needles, winter is coming. I need all the cozy knits I can muster, so I went ahead and cast on this cowl-scarf. Worked on larger than typical needles, it features an adaptation of the same ribbed slip stitch used in the Colsie mitts, and it's producing a fabric that's light, lush and flexible.

Kintra Mitts


This pattern is yet another example of my ribby obsession. It includes two slipped rib stitches, both of which are useful and adaptable. I love all my Kintra mitts (seven pairs and counting), and I'm wearing this pair as I write. The neutral mitts above are my current favorites, however, which leads me to my next example ...

Kintra Cowl


This is an active work in progress not an FO, but I decided to include it in this roundup. The goal is to create a cowl or scarf to complement the nearly neutral Kintra mitts above, as part of my plan to create coordinated sets that make the most of the knits I have.


Wyndfael Mitts

I know, I know. You look at this design and think: Wait, those are cables not ribs! And you're correct. This simple little stitch produces mini-cables on the front side and 2x2 ribs on the back, so it's a twofer. The fabric is plush and moderately elastic, so it's suited to afghans, bands, cuffs, collars, hats, mitts or anything that calls out for a decorative touch coupled with a bit of stretch.


Riblet Afghan


This project is also in the planning pipeline. I've worked countless swatches in search of a stitch that's reversible, easy to execute and will produce an attractive, plush texture, and so far this one is at the forefront. It, too, is a slipped rib, and due to the way it's worked, it's moderately stretchy, holds its shape and produces a slightly syncopated look I find appealing. As an added plus, working this stitch in two colors creates interesting but very different effects (more on that later). 

If you're like me and knitting is woven into your daily life, it's possible you have an obsession or three of your own. Meanwhile, I'm off to pursue this passion for ribs to see where it takes me. 

What knitting passions are you pursuing this week? 

Connecting with the linkups in the sidebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I read and enjoy each and every comment. If you have questions, share those too, and I'll do my best to respond.
-b