Categories

Nov 26, 2017

WIP | Colsie Mirror Gradient Cowl/Scarf

Since last we spoke, some progress has occurred, and the skinny Colsie cowl worked in a mirror gradient has grown.




I love this simple slipped rib stitch. It produces a lush, corrugated fabric that's reversible, and as an added plus it's a breeze to work, so it's been the ideal project for knitting on the go. 



The goal is to create a cowl-scarf long enough to button and wear as a single long loop, wrap twice for a cozier neck-hugging cowl, or wear unbuttoned as a short scarf.



The original plan was to work the cowl so it was a precise match to my Colsie mirror gradient mitts which featured just two colors (teal, cloud), but plans change. 



My fondness for accessories that complement rather than exactly match meant I simply couldn't resist the opportunity to introduce the lake green shade. That offers a bonus, since this single cowl will coordinate with a pair of tonal mitts I have yet to share as well as the mitts shown above.

With that in mind, I opted for a high-contrast gradient approach that features three colors (teal, cloud and lake) worked across five sections. Each of the three solid sections is separated by a striped transitional stage that blends one color into the next. Here, I've just started the fourth section, which introduces the lake shade alternated with cloud.



This cowl has in one week progressed from the most modest of starts to the point where it's well over halfway done. With luck and a little concentrated knitting time, it may be finished before the weekend is over.

I'm highly motivated, because I'm eager to get this off the needles and into the wearing rotation, and once it's done I can tackle the next item on the hover craft list.



Here in the US we're celebrating Thanksgiving. I have much to be thankful for, including all of you. Wherever you are, I hope the same is true for you.

To see the FO, click here.
To read more about ombres, gradients and fades, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I read and enjoy each and every comment. If you have questions, share those too, and I'll do my best to respond.
-b