Categories

Dec 10, 2017

FO | Colsie Mirror Gradient Cowl/Scarf

Long ago, we agreed there's no such thing as too many mitts, and with temps plummeting and snow on the ground, the same is clearly true for coordinating shawls, scarves and cowls. With this in mind, I've been diligently plugging away on several cowls knit in luxe yarn to accompany some of my favorite fingerless mitts.




This past week, I focused on finishing the Colsie cowl worked as a modified mirror gradient. The strategy was similar to the mirror gradient mitts, but instead of two colors, I used three:

  • Section 1: Teal
  • Section 2: Teal and cloud
  • Section 3: Cloud
  • Section 4: Lake and cloud
  • Section 5: Lake

I'm fond of skinny scarves that can be worn multiple ways, so that part was a no-brainer. The reversible ribbed slip stitch is extremely elastic, which means it could be stretched or blocked wider, but in its relaxed state, it's just the right width and length to wrap twice around my neck without becoming overwhelming.


For maximum flexibility, I chose to work it flat with small buttonholes at both ends so it can be worn closed like a cowl, open like a scarf, or twisted and draped in a variety of configurations. With buttons from stash, I made simple barbell or cufflink closures that can be removed when I want to wear Colsie as a scarf.


Colsie Reversible Cowl / Scarf
Pattern: In development
Yarn: Champagne (Grignasco)
Needles: US 7 (4.5 mm)
Yardage: ~230 yards
Dimensions: 3.5 x 45 ins

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: This yarn is luscious. It knits up beautifully and looks good even in its unblocked state, as shown. The blue undertones in the teal and lake accentuate the hint of blue in the icy cloud shade. Plus, the combination of superfine merino blended with silk means the fabric has a soft sheen and feels like a dream next to the skin. 




Between life, work and the holidays, things are complicated enough. This simple knit offered just enough challenge and interest to be motivating and manageable, with the added bonus that I now have a soft, cozy cowl (or scarf) with which to welcome the winter season.


Looking for the pattern? If all goes well (fingers crossed), it will soon be ready to send to the tech editor.


RELATED



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I read and enjoy each and every comment. If you have questions, share those too, and I'll do my best to respond.
-b