Categories

Apr 15, 2018

FO | Herlacyn Heatwave Afghan

Last week, I promised you a proper FO post for my Herlacyn Heatwave afghan. I love how it looks, now that blocking has worked its usual magic. The stitches relaxed, the bumps disappeared, the seams are much straighter, and the borders lay flat.



As you can see, it features a warm gradient created using six shades ranging from pale yellow to red, and against the rich black background, the colors pop. The colors are arranged on the diagonal from the lower left to upper right, so they were worked in this order (bottom to top):
  • Left strip: Provincial Rose, Tropical Coral, Buttercream, Banana
  • Center strip: Cherry Moon, Provincial Rose, Tropical Coral, Buttercream
  • Right strip: Barn Red, Cherry Moon, Provincial Rose, Tropical Coral

Herlacyn was designed with stashbusting in mind, so I was determined to work with yarn on hand. In the end, however, I had to order more Cherry Moon, because there was so little left after last year's rainbow Valere afghans and I wasn't in the mood to play yarn chicken.
Yarn: Cotton Fleece (Brown Sheep)
Needles: US 8 (5.5 mm)
Size: Small / baby
Dimensions: 27 x 35 ins
Yardage: ~670 yards

The back side is attractive, but it has a different look and feel. Because of the wrapped stitches, the colored triangles resemble appliques and almost appear stitched on rather than worked as part of the fabric.




Don't tell the other afghans, but Heatwave is my new favorite. It has fantastic drape, and the strong geometric shapes and cheerful colors delight my simple heart. It's also the perfect weight for our chilly spring weather and it will transition well into summer and fall, when a soft, light afghan is welcome on a cool morning.

I'm itching to cast on another in cool blues and greens, but that may have to wait. A shawl, a pair of mitts, and a vivid rainbow afghan are already on the needles, and they're all crying out for some well-deserved attention.

Looking for the pattern? You can find it here or read more about it here. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I read and enjoy each and every comment. If you have questions, share those too, and I'll do my best to respond.
-b