Categories

Apr 28, 2019

Swatch Stories: The Saga Continues

In retrospect, it was totally inevitable. What began as a quick experiment turned into much, much more. 

It started quite innocently, as these things often do. My initial objective was to work a series of  small swatches to demonstrate how very different the same stitch can look in various yarns and color combos. The swatches featured the syncopated slip stitch which can be used to create vertical stripes.

One swatch was worked in the two deepest shades from the ombre mini-skein set above (Mad Hatter Shillings & Pence by Wonderland Yarns). The result was attractive but understated, because the vertical stripes were almost indiscernible in such closely related colors.

And this is where things began to go sideways. There are plenty of projects on the needles clamoring for attention, but I simply couldn't resist taking the experiment just one step further. So, I paired the medium shade with the lighter of the two deepest colors, and worked another section.


Uh oh, that new section looks rather appealing. Surely I should try just one more combo and blend the medium with the second-lightest shade, just to see what happens?
Well look at that, the third section is also attractive, perhaps I should just keep going? For one full day, I held firm. Then I buckled and started working the last section with the two lightest shades.
The good news? I love the overall effect, and for sheer versatility and stashbusting potential, this stitch is definitely a keeper. 

The bad news? The Mad Hatter yarn is technically slated for a different project, but I may have to rethink that plan. Meanwhile, I'm already searching through the stash to see what other yarns and combos might lend themselves to this approach. 


The reality? The saga continues. (And I see lots of swatching in my future.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I read and enjoy each and every comment. If you have questions, share those too, and I'll do my best to respond.
-b