Categories

Dec 19, 2012

An Unexpected Gift

One of my knitterly goals for 2012 was to participate in a KAL (knitalong).

That doesn’t sound very ambitious, but in real life and online, I’m not much of a joiner. Finding and participating in one KAL  my first in fact  seemed like the right mix of challenge and doability.

As November approached, I realized I had considered and rejected KAL after KAL. Luckily, at precisely the right moment, Evelyn of Project:Stash and Kepanie of Knitspiring Odyssey launched the Show of Hands KAL. The goal was to start and finish at least one set of fingerless mitts by the end of November.

I joined the KAL, met many wonderful knitters, and completed three pairs of fingerless mitts (two pairs from scratch and one pair I’d started earlier in the year). Evelyn, Kepanie and all the participants were fun, funny, talented and motivating.

I enjoyed the experience so much, I completely forgot prizes were involved. Imagine my surprise when I learned I’d won yarn from Project: Stash.

This yarn is special for many reasons. Created by indie dyer Annie Claire, it’s naturally dyed in the Scotch Broom colorway (a subdued green). With a rustic feel and handspun quality, it’s 100% organic and features California fiber “from pasture to pullover.” (The photo doesn’t do the yarn justice, but it’s the best I can do on this gloomy winter day.)



This yarn is also a tangible reminder of a wonderful first KAL experience with the delightful Evelyn, Kepanie and Show of Hands participants. Such special yarn deserves the right pattern. For now, however, I’m just admiring it and enjoying this unexpected gift. (Thanks, again, Evelyn!)

1 comment:

  1. Free yarn! How wonderful, and just in time for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and enjoy each and every comment. If you have questions, share those too, and I'll do my best to respond.
-b