Categories

Sep 20, 2015

The Maker's Gift

Last week, I was buzzing down the aisle at the grocery store when I spotted an incredibly cute baby, sitting patiently in the grocery cart sucking a pacifier for all he was worth. I smiled at the baby, smiled at the mom and prepared to move on. 

Then I spied the corner of a bright blue blanket. 

"Adorable baby," I said. "Did you make his blanket?"

      Copyright Patricia-R-S; used with permission 

Her face lit up. "No, can you believe it, I got it at a garage sale. Look!" She unfolded the crocheted blanket, stroked it lovingly and began pointing out her favorite details.

      Copyright Patricia-R-S; used with permission 

The blue background was decorated with cars worked in primary colors and zipping down curving gray roadways. Because the cars were appliques, they had a wonderful dimensional quality that clearly delighted her. 

      Copyright Patricia-R-S; used with permission 

She asked me if I thought it was hand made and wondered aloud how someone could make something so charming and clever.

Yes, I assured her, it absolutely was hand made and clearly the maker was someone quite talented. The baby followed our exchange, but kept his thoughts to himself, waiting good-naturedly while we admired the afghan and chatted a bit before we went our separate ways.

      Copyright Patricia-R-S; used with permission 

The encounter was brief but heart-warming.

     Copyright Patricia-R-S; used with permission 

If you've ever wondered what happens to your handcrafted gifts as time goes by, you now have the answer.

They're passed down in families, given to friends, donated to charities or sold at garage sales. As a result, they go on to have a second (or third or fourth) life in the hands of someone new who marvels at your skill, treasures the piece you made and uses it each day with joy.

     Copyright Patricia-R-S; used with permission 

Somewhere at this very moment perhaps a passerby is saying, "Terrific hat!" or "Great scarf!" or "Love your sweater, did you make it?" And just like that, your lovely handiwork has prompted two strangers to make a fleeting personal connection that transforms their day. 

It's just one of many gifts associated with being a maker, and it's a special thing indeed.


For kidworthy color combos, click here.

Photos: Courtesy of Patricia-R-S. She didn't make the blanket I saw, but she graciously allowed me to use her photos to illustrate this post. Thank you!

Crochet blanket pattern: Cars (by Mary Maxim)


6 comments:

  1. Aww, sweet story. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love your perspective and tale! It is heart-warming to think about the joy something can bring to the many places it goes and people it touches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much fun! What a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, that IS sweet! I bet a great granny made it. I remember my mother in law had that Mary Maxim catalog long, long, ago!
    What a nice little baby, so content at the grocery store. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful story and thought process :) that's so sweet, plus such great inspiration and ideas pass amongst crafters who see this sort of work and can think 'how wonderful, I could try that!' but similarly applaud the person who originally made it (must always give credit where credit's due :) ) jenny xxxx www.thegeekyknitter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an uplifting post! I was feeling in a bit of a slump, but now I'm inspired to make something!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and enjoy each and every comment. If you have questions, share those too, and I'll do my best to respond.
-b