Categories

Dec 28, 2016

The Best Gift

This year, I received one of the best gifts a knitter can get.

What's that, you ask? The opportunity to teach those we love how to knit, of course!

My three god-daughters (ages 13 to 22) have wanted to learn for some time now, but life kept intervening. There were moves, illnesses, injuries and broken bones. There were conflicting work, school and sporting event schedules. There were dramatic storms, severe weather events, car troubles and more. Time and again, our plans were delayed or disrupted.

Through it all, their interest never waned, and finally, we managed to take a definitive step in the right direction.



In the days leading up to Thanksgiving, I carved out time to put together basic beginner kits. Each one included a worksheet with pictures and instructions and two skeins of nice yarn in appealing solid colors. (Tip: Beginning knitters should stick to solid yarn in light or medium shades, because it's easier to see the stitches and learn to read them.)

Using the same yarn, I made a small sampler swatch to illustrate garter, stockinette and seed stitch in action. And rather than buy needles, I loaned some from my own collection so each girl could test different needle types and sizes.

After a delicious, relaxed Thanksgiving meal, we gathered around the table and spent the rest of the afternoon learning to cast on and knit. By early evening, each girl had generated several inches of garter stitch, and the most adventurous one was making plans for a scarf and working her swatch in lovely stripes of lilac and mint green.

If I were a better blogger, I'd have photos of these events, but we were all so focused on the task at hand, it completely slipped my mind.

Christmas was a bit chaotic, so very little knitting occurred, but from tiny, shiny Christmas trees to slipper boots and lush, long scarves, it was a constant thread in the background. For all of us, the true gift of the day was the pleasure of spending time together as a family.
This year is drawing to a close, but the new one shines brightly on the horizon, filled with promise and the opportunity to spend time together as a family and as knitters.

And that's the best gift of all.

2 comments:

  1. I had to learn to knit on my own. How lovely that you are giving lessons to your god-daughters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kudos, Cathie, for teaching yourself, that's a wonderful accomplishment.

      Meanwhile, I'm having a great deal of fun with the godkids and think they're having fun, too.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and enjoy each and every comment. If you have questions, share those too, and I'll do my best to respond.
-b