Categories

May 13, 2018

Swatch Stories: Full Circle

Many years ago, I fell in love with an easy textured slip stitch, which for reasons that escape my grasp, was dubbed the Pin Check stitch by the venerable Barbara Walker.

The stitch pattern creates two very different but attractive sides. On the front, a stockinette grid frames small purl bumps, while on the back, the pattern produces a lateral dot-dash or chain-like effect when worked in two colors.



I've swatched this stitch countless times in varied yarns and color combinations. The initial plan was to make a cozy sweater in neutral shades of black, grey and cream ...

 
or warm earthtones such as brown, taupe, tan and off white worked in a dark to light gradient.

Then I toyed with other possibilities, such as working shades of the same color to create an ombre effect against a black gridwork. 


Years passed, life happened and the sweater plans never solidified. 

Then one day, I realized this versatile stitch might be the perfect texture for an afghan. More swatching ensued, and eventually this stitch became the foundation for the Tikkyn Reversible Afghan, which I worked first in a fun rainbow scheme ...

 

then again in a combination of greys and burgundy.



Now, things have come full circle. While slip stitches are great for simple colorwork, they're texture stitches first and foremost. This rich purple yarn with its tantalizing touch of cashmere has for far too long been crying out to become a soft, cozy cardigan. It's possible this beloved little slip stitch with its plush, waffle-like texture might be the ideal way to make that happen.




Happy Mother's Day!


Connecting with the linkups in the sidebar.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely knitter's tale.....a good yarn ! (That's a terrible pun sorry)
    Have I missed a link to how you do that lovely pincheck?
    Susie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it, Susie. Sorry, no link to a how-to post yet, but it's on my to-do list ; )

      Delete
  2. That does look an interesting reversible stitch. I like all the subtle colours in the afghan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to let you know that I featured your lovely blanket at my Ginx Woolly Linx party.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and enjoy each and every comment. If you have questions, share those too, and I'll do my best to respond.
-b