Categories

Aug 26, 2018

Small Mistake, Big Consequences

The first rule of blogging about knitting is this: Do NOT crow when a project's going well. Because if you do, all too soon you'll be back at the keyboard eating crow and confessing something (or everything) has gone woefully awry. 

Last week, I was wallowing in the pleasures of working on a project that was moving forward at a fast (for me) pace. In a handful of weeks it progressed from casting on the first strip to finishing all the strips and starting the seaming process. 


The first seam went together easily, without a hiccup and with each section lining up as intended. 

The second seam did not, and it's my own fault. It was late after a long, demanding work day, but I decided to push ahead and finish the final seam. It was a bad call, and the orange stitch marker marks the spot.


Somehow, someway, I'd managed to skip not one but several stitches during the three-needle bindoff, and that small mistake had big consequences. If you look at the picture above, you can see it. The left corner of the upper white triangle is supposed to align with the right corner of the red section, but clearly it doesn't.


The only way to fix an error of this magnitude is to frog it and redo it. So that's where things stand. I've ripped out the bindoff and the stitches are sitting there ready to be returned to the needles, so I can try again.

2 comments:

  1. OOh, that just sucks!

    I'm glad you had the courage to frog it, I think I would have just burst into tears and thrown it into the depths of my closet, instead.

    I do look forward to seeing the Finished Object! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it does indeed suck, Sarah, but such is life ... and knitting!

      For a brief moment, I thought about striking a match and torching the evidence, but reason finally won out.

      Hope to have the FO to share soon. Take care.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and enjoy each and every comment. If you have questions, share those too, and I'll do my best to respond.
-b