Categories

Oct 29, 2013

The Swafghan Backstory - Part 2

I'm about to share something so deeply private and personal, I can't believe I'm going to post this online for all to see.

Try not to hurt yourself laughing, ok?

Long ago in a knitting chair not-so-very far from here, I decided to make a multicolored sweater, using my modified version of the basket slip stitch. It doesn't have an official name, but I call it the windowpane stitch. (Every good stitch needs a name, right?)

The sweater-to-be was about two things and two things only: the stitch and the colors. No muss, no fuss, no nips, no tucks. No fancy bits, no furbelows.

Before I jumped right in with the knitting (something I've been known to do), it seemed smart to develop a plan. I began to play with markers to see how the concept worked on paper. (Brace yourself, here it comes.)


This is one of about 20 sketches, but I thought you'd particularly enjoy this one. Because yes, I did clip and stick yarn to the outline sketch. And no, this is not what I ended up knitting. Why?

Knitting, like life, rarely goes precisely as planned.


UPDATE
For those of you who've asked: The pattern has been released: Color Check Afghan.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who jumps into knitting projects without much forethought. Sometimes the 'accidents' turn out wonderfully, and then other times, not so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job of planning. What do you mean, you are hesitant to write about it. It is brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well with that intriguing start I can't wait to see the project!

    You should see MY planning. I wrote an entire pattern off the top of my head once and followed it religiously. It was only for a headband, so not too big a project...but disgusting. Never again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee! I like your planning! What did you end up doing with the yarn?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and enjoy each and every comment. If you have questions, share those too, and I'll do my best to respond.
-b