Categories

Oct 29, 2017

Headway

I'm happy to report I'm making headway on the Kintra Nearly Neutral Cowl. The last time you saw it, the first section was completed, the second was underway, and it looked like this:


Since then, in spite of very limited knitting time, I've managed to complete the black-and-gray striped section, tackle the solid grey center section, and start the second striped section in grey and cream. I love how the plump, rounded rib creates a deeply corrugated fabric that takes on an almost quilted appearance when it's worked in alternating stripes.



This progress was hard-won. Life and work have been hectic, but I tried to tuck a few quick rows into my morning routine before I went to work, squeeze in a few more at lunch, and knit some more in the evenings. Luckily, this reversible slip stitch is simple and the colorwork is equally easy, so it's a great project for late-night/TV knitting.



When it's finished, this plush, narrow cowl will be long enough to wrap twice around my neck. As you can see by the photo above, it's already quite long (about 32 inches), so to get it to fit into the lens frame, I had to fold the finished sections into overlapping layers.

This shot provides another view of the color strategy, as the cowl fades from black into black with grey, then moves from solid grey to grey with cream. (I'm working a five-stage gradient.)


So far, I'm delighted with how this is shaping up. The combination of superfine merino, silk and cashmere make Tajmahal yarn delectable to work with, and the thought of having this luscious yarn  snuggled around my neck is motivating. As far as the knitting goes, I'm about half way through the current striped section, then the last section will be worked in cream. If I can carve out some time, I should be able to finish my Kintra cowl sometime this week.

None too soon, right?! The weather here has turned cold and snow was dusting the ground yesterday morning, so this plump, cozy cowl worn with the coordinating mitts will be perfect for work, running errands and everything in between.

What are you scrambling to finish before cold weather arrives?

Looking for the Kintra Cowl pattern? It's nearly ready to send to the tech editor, so it's coming soon!


RELATED





2 comments:

  1. That cowl is gorgeous, (and, as always, I love your colour sense with the gradients)!

    It looks like you're actually working with three colours if I'm seeing that right -- and if so, that's absolutely awesome. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sarah, I'm so glad you like it!

    Yes, you're absolutely correct: three colors (black, grey and cream) worked in a DIY five-stage gradient. It's an easy way to expand the color range of a few select skeins : )

    Typically, I post a "coming soon" notice in the sidebar as the pattern nears completion, so watch this space for further developments.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and enjoy each and every comment. If you have questions, share those too, and I'll do my best to respond.
-b