Categories

Jun 17, 2018

Distraction

While I promised myself I'd stay completely focused on weaving the last few ends in preparation for blocking Herlacyn Breeze, I confess I've succumbed to distraction. The final steps required for finishing aren't difficult, but they do require a degree of patience and attention I can't always muster at the end of a busy day.

The only solution, of course, was to face facts and cast on something new. For years, I've searched for the perfect project for these lovely skeins of solid lace weight yarn (Helen's Lace by Lorna's Laces, 50% silk/50% wool). 


A lovely lacy shawl is the obvious answer, but lace isn't really my thing. I've swatched and frogged multiple stitch and needle combinations, and even paired various colors with the variegated Blue Heron (Rayon Metallic), but nothing really struck my fancy.

In the end, I decided to keep things as simple as possible, opting for a long, skinny scarf featuring the fluted rib, one of my favorite reversible slipped stitches.


The plan is to work a five-stage ombre or gradient using three solid colors (magenta, fuchsia and pink) with the yarn carried double to make it easy to fade from one solid shade into the next. These regular color changes should keep things interesting, and the end result should be a light, classic scarf perfect for cool spring and fall weather.

Meanwhile, this simple knit offers the perfect pick-up-lay-down project to balance the attention and care finishing Herlacyn Breeze demands. Sometimes, monogamy isn't all it's cracked up to be.


Connecting with the linkups in the sidebar.

3 comments:

  1. OOh, I love Helen's Lace! I've got a few skeins in my own stash waiting to become something too!

    I have to say, I'm also always -so- impressed by your eye for colour. I wish I had your colour sense. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, struggle with color choices, but thanks for the kind words, Sarah, they're much appreciated.

      And yes, Helen's Lace is lovely and now that I've found the right stitch, weight (2 strands) and needle combo for me, I'm loving how it's working up.

      Delete
  2. All those pinks look so lovely together, I am sure it will turn out great. Thank you for linking to Ginx Woolly Link Party for June.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and enjoy each and every comment. If you have questions, share those too, and I'll do my best to respond.
-b