Categories

Dec 9, 2018

Possibilities

Earlier this year, I was rummaging through the stash searching for inspiration when a few variegated skeins caught my eye. I quickly put together some working combinations, including this version that emphasized the red, rose and plum shades in the variegated yarn.


That's as far as things progressed. Then a couple weeks ago, I realized there were several skeins of a lovely soft platinum grey (Sugar Bush Bliss) lurking in the stash. The limited yardage restricted project options, but it occurred to me if the colors worked, it might serve as a nice foil for the variegated yarn (KFI Indulgence).

Once I opened up to the possibilities, one thing quickly led to another, as is so often true where knitting is concerned.


The initial swatch using my new-favorite slip stitch turned into the first of a pair of fingerless mitts. The cool platinum created solid vertical stripes that to my eye play nicely with the lateral bands of color produced by the long-print variegated yarn.


As soon as the mitts were bound off, I cast on for a matching scarf. My original plan was to go long and skinny, a shape I find especially versatile, but then I realized something intriguing. If I turned the long scarf into something more compact such as a cowl or neckwarmer, I'd have enough yardage to make a shawl, which I desperately need now that cold weather has settled into our little valley.

The holidays are just around the corner and there are a bazillion things I should be doing. Instead, I suspect I'll spend the evening snuggled under a warm, wool afghan, knitting a soon-to-be shawl.  



Connecting with the linkups in the sidebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I read and enjoy each and every comment. If you have questions, share those too, and I'll do my best to respond.
-b