Categories

Mar 10, 2019

Ombres (not Hombres)

Every time I search for information related to ombres and gradients, Google very kindly suggests I might want to search for hombres instead. As thoughtful as that suggestion is, it's not terribly helpful, since I continue to be obsessed with ombre effects and the many fascinating ways they can be created in knitwear.


Pattern | Healdan Scarf
The easiest way to create an ombre is to simply buy a gradient yarn, pick a pattern and work it up, right? That was my initial intent when I invested in this Mad Hatter Shillings & Pence (Wonderland Yarns by Frabjous Fibers).

So much for plans. 

Once I had the yarn in hand, I realized I wanted something that leveraged the wonderfully subtle color transitions the dyer managed to achieve. To accomplish this, I needed just the right stitch, one that was easy to work but which created a smooth segue from one shade to the next.



Unfortunately, that means I've been spending more time swatching than knitting. This is frustrating, because right now, I'm not just eager, I'm desperate to cast on a shawl or wrap that can carry me through the remainder of winter and the wet, chilly spring so typical in this region.



I worked the swatch above in just two colors. The top portion features the lighter shade, the bottom shows the medium shade, and the center is worked in alternating rows of both. I like the weight and drape, and the slightly syncopated texture which helps break up the transition rows and visually blend the colors.

I'm off to figure out a few more details, then maybe ... maybe ... I'll be ready to cast on.


To see all ombre and gradient posts, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I read and enjoy each and every comment. If you have questions, share those too, and I'll do my best to respond.
-b