Categories

Sep 29, 2019

FO | Wyndfael Cowl

The current temps are in the high 80s (F), and they're projected to hit the low-to-mid 90s next week. Nonetheless, I've been busy putting the finishing touches on my Wyndfael cowl. I worked the accent stripes and rounded ends, then buckled down and began weaving ends.

The ends incorporate a small, nearly invisible button hole, which centers the button where the two ends meet. I like to keep my options open, so I attached a large, decorative button to a smaller backer button to create a removable cufflink-style closure, and this is the result.



Wyndfael Turquoise Cowl
Pattern: In development (coming soon!)
Yarn: Merino 5 (Crystal Palace); Cash Vero (Cascade)
Size: Short (~5 x 21 inches) 
Weight: Worsted
Needles: US 8 (5 mm)

Yardage: ~140 yards 

The removable button turned out to be a wise choice, because somewhere along the line I had a wacky idea ... 

What if I used a small pompom as a closure, instead of a button? I decided to give it a try and this is the outcome. Like the cufflink closure above, it's attached to a small backer button, which fits through the existing loops, so it, too, can be swapped out for wearing or washing. As an added plus, the pompom automatically matches, so it circumvents the sometimes frustrating search for a suitable button.



I confess I'm truly delighted with how this turned out. When cool weather arrives, I'll have a warm, cushy cowl to wrap around my neck, a matching pair of mitts to keep my hands warm, and when the mood strikes, I can go for whimsical or classic, whichever suits best.

And it's completely possible there may be a turquoise pompom in my near future ...


RELATED
    Pattern | Wyndfael Mitts

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the way that cowl's constructed! I love that it buttons up like that (and the pompom is wonderfully adorable!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How kind, Sarah, thank you! Frankly, I thought I was getting a bit carried away with the pompom ... but I just couldn't resist : )

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and enjoy each and every comment. If you have questions, share those too, and I'll do my best to respond.
-b