Categories

Dec 30, 2018

Santa Delivered

This year, Santa delivered precisely what I wanted most — a sweater quantity of yarn in a lovely shade of charcoal.


It's Valley Yarns Amherst, a 100% merino wool in worsted weight. This is the same yarn I used for Tikkyn Flagstone, so I know for a fact it's not only soft and light but very warm. It's also quite affordable, which is important since this will be a casual, everyday cardigan that's likely to see heavy wear.

I already have several projects on the needles, but as you can see, I couldn't resist swatching. Right now, I'm leaning toward the slipped rib stitch shown, because it's easy to work, produces a moderately stretchy fabric, and has an interesting texture. I'm also experimenting with different needle sizes to determine which one produces the right mix of drape and density.

I'm a slow knitter, so it's a toss up whether this will be finished in time for wear this winter, but it really doesn't matter. Sooner or later, I'll have a cozy, warm sweater that suits my style, goes with everything in my closet and fills a very real need.

And that's the best gift of all.


Wishing you and yours a bright and happy New Year!

6 comments:

  1. so nice that your received what you wanted and I adore that charcoal gray!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen, I love that deep gray, too. Hope Santa brought you what you wanted most : )

      Delete
  2. Nice yarn! I've had good experiences with Valley Yarns over the years. The charcoal gray will be so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point, Juliana. I, too, have had great luck with Valley Yarns, which manage to hit a nice balance of quality and affordability. It was a toss-up between charcoal and black, but the gray won out!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous yarn. Had you been dropping hints? I don't know why I overlook charcoal. Your stitch work looks nice in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a tendency to overlook charcoal, too, but since I simply wasn't up for knitting an entire sweater in black, the choice rather quickly became obvious :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I read and enjoy each and every comment. If you have questions, share those too, and I'll do my best to respond.
-b